Vacancy Announcement for Cropping Systems Agronomist (CSA) in East Africa
Benguérir, Morocco — 10 March, 2020 — The African Plant Nutrition Institute (APNI) is seeking a highly qualified and enthusiastic Cropping Systems Agronomist to be based in East Africa. The holder of this position will work both independently and, in a team, to improve nutrient management practices leading to sustainable intensification of diverse cropping systems in the region.
About the African Plant Nutrition Institute
APNI is a not-for-profit research and education institute based in Benguérir, Morocco. The institute works to develop and promote sustainable plant nutrition management practices and innovation through research, education and outreach. It has active research projects in East, West and North Africa.
APNI was launched in 2019 and this new position offers the opportunity to join a rapidly growing scientific team that is dedicated to improving farmer livelihood through proper crop nutrition. It is an independent, nonprofit, research and education association that currently has four offices across the African continent. Please refer to our website for more information: www.apni.net
The Cropping Systems Agronomist will support APNI research projects with a primary focus in Eastern and Southern Africa. The candidate will work closely with a network of APNI’s collaborating institutions including international agricultural research centres, national agricultural research and extension systems, the private sector, and development organizations. This will require an innovative, self-motivated, and results-oriented candidate who can work with minimal supervision.
The main responsibilities will include:
Conducting strategic research to support the implementation of APNI’s research and development programs for sustainable intensification of diverse cropping systems;
- Designing, implementing and analyzing field experiments in collaboration with multiple-stakeholders;
- Providing scientific and technical support in the development and application of nutrient management decision-support tools;
- Supervision of technical staff, and contributing to APNI’s capacity-building efforts for students, trainees and partners;
- Developing scientific and extension publications to support dissemination of research outputs and technological recommendations;
- Undertake other duties as required by the needs of APNI.
The suitable candidate for the position should possess:
- Preferably a Ph.D. degree in soil science, agronomy, environmental science, or related field. An equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
- Proven experience in designing and implementing large-scale research trials on nutrient management, including management and analyses of experimental data.
- Specific experience in farmer-centric research and/or supply-chain-inclusive research approaches, ideally related to climate-smart agriculture, would be a strong advantage.
- Project management skills demonstrated through leadership of multi-actor, regional agricultural or environmental projects.
- Demonstrated ability to write high-quality scientific publications.
- GIS, database development, and crop-soil systems modelling skills will be an added advantage.
- Excellent communication skills, orally and written, in English. A working knowledge of French is an advantage.
The position is for a full-time and permanent position, subject to the completion of a satisfactory probation period and performance. Applicants from East Africa, especially from Kenya, Rwanda or Tanzania will be given priority. Qualified female candidates are especially encouraged to apply. The location of the position will be based in East Africa. A competitive salary and employee benefit package will be provided.
Qualified candidates should send all application materials in English, including a detailed CV, an application letter, and the email addresses of three professional references to email@example.com, with the position name (CSA) mentioned in the subject line. The deadline for application is 30 April 2020.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate has been found. Only candidates receiving an interview will be contacted.