Cross Regional Research and Development Initiative
Theme: Precision Nutrient Management
OCP Africa; Al Moutmir
OCP-Africa, Al Moutmir
Cereal-based systems and legumes (wheat, maize, rice)
Perennial cropping systems (olive intercropping systems, cocoa, oil palm, tea, coffee)
Hub Countries: Kenya, Tanzania, Nigeria, Cote d’Ivoire, Senegal, Morocco
Spill-over countries: Wide network throughout North, West, East, and Southern Africa
Development and dissemination of improved fertilizer recommendations and agronomic practices is essential to enhance the benefits of growing investments by governments and the private sector to support African famers in increasing crop productivity, in particular by optimizing fertilizer use. The 4R Nutrient Stewardship approach—the science-based concept for best nutrient management practices—is able to provide a framework for nutrient management within each agro-ecosystem despite the diversity amongst farming and food production systems across Africa due to soil type, climate, production economics and system scale. Nutrient Expert was developed to be used by growers and advisors to assist decision-making for an individual farm field in the presence or absence of soil testing data. A significant proportion of the field work undertaken within this program is working to adapt NE to important crops and regions, as well as demonstrate best nutrient management practices.
East and Southern Africa
- Developing nutrient management strategies and fertilizer recommendation for the significant crops of the region.
- Stimulating fertilizer use by demonstrating it benefits for crop production and soil health.
- Undertaking education and training of fertilizer users, extension agencies and policy makers.
- Providing support for UM6P training programs and collaboration in East and Southern Africa.
- Out-scaling of 4R nutrient stewardship knowledge to support crop production.
- Evaluating of the scale and nature of micronutrient deficiencies in the region.
- Developing nutrient best management strategies for date palm.
- Developing nutrient best management practices for improving yield and quality of citrus.
- Developing nutrient best management strategies for improving yield and quality of olives.
- Improving nutrient management for optimizing wheat and rice production in Mauritania.
- Improving nutrient management for optimizing maize production in Senegal.
- Validation and dissemination of Nutrient Expert® for wheat and lentil in Morocco.
- Establishment of the IPNI/APNI West Africa regional office.
- Development of nutrient management research and education partnerships with regional stakeholders.
- Initiate research and development activities to build science-based fertilizer recommendations for major crops.
- Undertake education and training to build capacity for nutrient best management practices.